Special Effects

 Hi,

 I have always been interested in special effects. And as a
mathematician, I can think of some nifty one.

 Now, of course, as a no-programmer, my naïve approach would be to
show a background animation. In other words, take the background image
and apply some special effects to it, or maybe add a border-less and
transparent window to the root window.

 To do this however I need help. I would like to know how can I tell
the window manager (gnome compliant) to never put anything below such
a window except the background image.

 My other naïve question would be: does the background setting program
support animated pictures?

 Thanks

 Any help would be appreciated. And for the curious, yes I am
interested in E like effects, but more dramatic and less cpu consuming
(think mathematician)

 H. Aurag