Re: slow Remote X-windows displaying...

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 06:01:14PM -0400, Daniel M. German wrote:

> Hi Everybuddy,

> Let me first explain my setup. I have a 10baseT network. My laptop is
> my workhorse and I decided today to work on my desktop by using it as
> a X server. The applications are actually running on my laptop,
> displayed on the desktop by using ssh X forwarding mechanism.

> I have noticed that the refresh of Gnome window is very slow, specially
> compared to other types of windows, for example, Netscape.

If you are on two machines on a trusted network, *don't use ssh for X
forwarding*. If you have to, then use ssh -c none. It will be encrypting
your X data which will slow it down a lot iirc.

--
(o_   | Toby Jaffey : www.nott.ac.uk/~psystrj/
//\   | "Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same." -- Oscar