Re: slow Remote X-windows displaying...

 Toby> If you are on two machines on a trusted network, *don't use ssh
 Toby> for X forwarding*. If you have to, then use ssh -c none. It
 Toby> will be encrypting your X data which will slow it down a lot
 Toby> iirc.

Hi Toby,

Yes, I pondered it, and I tried it. It does not seem to affect the
speed of the rendering. Specially that I am comparing a small window
in GNOME with a large, graphical Netscape Windows. The gnome one
loses. Somehow it looks like the netscape window is able to cache its
contents and redisplay them. But the gnome/gtk window has to redraw
all its content. I have tried it without compression and the result is
essentially the same.

I also tried to use the default theme. It seems to speed it up things
a little bit, but it is still slower than other windows.  Again,
Netscape seems to redisplay the entire contents of the window almost
instantly, while I can see a gtk window redrawing its contents when it
is asked to be displayed again.

To the gtk gurus: does that make sense? Are there windows
(motif/lesstif/X) that are quicker to redisplay because they have
buffered their contents, but gtk/gnome has to redisplay everything
again?

--
Daniel M. German                  "You cannot have the success without
   H. G. Hasler ->                 the failures."