Re: window-in-window MDI

On Thursday, March 16, 2000, Mo McKinlay <mmckinlay@labs.interopen.org> wrote:

> I was under the impression that the WiW is a global setting which affects
> all applications, or if not, it's up to the user which applications they
> switch it on for. If this is not the case, then it is *bad*.

The user can set the default MDI mode in the Control Center.  However,
it is up to the applications to respect that; "default" is just another
mode, like toplevel, modal, and notebook mode.  If you want an
application to be able to hot-switch the current MDI mode, you have to
add code to do that (easy).  For more info:

 http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/libgnomeui/gnomemdi.html

Essentially WiW would add another field to the GnomeMDIMode enum.  Apps
that don't want to use WiW are free to not use it.  IIRC, the only way
an application could come up in WiW mode is (A) if the app explicitly
sets itself to WiW mode, or (B) if the app is in DEFAULT mode and the
user chooses the global WiW option.

John

--
dusk@ravendusk.org                                http://www.gnome.org