Re: Gnome Media Library

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Nicholas Francis wrote:

> > On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Nicholas Francis wrote:
> >
> > > I'm starting a project to unify the media framework under gnome, with the
> > > ultimate aim to produce a CORBA/Bonobo media system.
> > >
> > > I would love to get any input...
> > >
> > > Anyways, I've made a small site - which you can get at by going to
> > > http://www.sixpence.dk/media
> >
> > I wrote GMF last summer - it's in CVS, and there's a white paper on
> > developer.gnome.org. I have had no time to continue work on it since then,
> > and I'm not confident that it represents a good final solution, but Anders
> > was hacking on it the other day, and I'm sure efforts in that direction
> > would be much more productive than starting from scratch.
> >

> I played with it when it was first released.

What is in CVS is a lot farther along than what was released.

> Am I correct in my belief that it is designed for real-time processing
> instead of doing streaming (with buffering & threads ?)

I'm not really sure what the difference is between the two - after all,
the stream had better be playable in real-time, or you might as well
download the whole file first. :)

Anyways, no, GMF is not just an equivalent of gAlan or other lockstep
filter networks. It handles QoS issues etc.

-- Elliot
"Moron of the week" for four years running