applications quit with gnome-terminal

I am not sure this is not intentional, but certainly a confusing
behavior:

In short, some applications started from gnome-terminal exit when
gnome-terminal exits.

For example, if I start an Emacs from a gnome-terminal, and then exit
the gnome-terminal, Emacs also exits.  The same happens if I start a
gnome-terminal from the gnome-terminal.

The only *good* application I found was xterm.  Indeed, and xterm
started from a GT does not exist when GT exits.

Can this behavior be changed?

Thx

Mate
--
---
Mate Wierdl | Dept. of Math. Sciences | University of Memphis