getting stderr output

When I started programing for gnome I started to use Glada, and I used to use
joe to edit the code. Now I'm developing my own code editor. My idea is to
complement Glade, so it just have a files tree, a functions tree, and a text editor. It
allso can launch make and gcc. My problem is that when I launch make or gcc I
use popen to do it. That way I only get the stdout, and I can't show the error
messages on a text widget. May question is:
is there a way that I can launch make and gcc and get the stdout and stderr to
show the messages on a text widget?

Thanks.

--
Ander Lozano Pérez