Re: Problems with .gnome-desktop and recursiveness.

Preben Randhol wrote:

> Erik Bågfors <bagfors pdc kth se> wrote on 10/10/2000 (14:30) :
> > Do your backups smarter!!  Check out rsync or at least try this:
> > tar cf - username | ssh otherhost "cd ~/Backup; tar xf -"
> > (see man tar for better options that just c and x)
>
> I know how to use tar!! And I was not talking about the day to day
> backup. We were going to put things on a CD to keep in case things went
> wrong or we needed the files on a different (off-line) machine!

Like he suggested, use rsync.

You can also use tar very effectively by tar'ing the file on the local
machine, sending it to the remote machine, and inline de-tar'ing it on
the fly. Either way you end up with a filesystem copy that you can dump
to CD very easily.

A recursive symlink is very easy to create by accident, so expecting
gnome not to create recursive symlinks is a weak argument. Rather fix
your backup method.

Regards,
Graham