Re: Several comments on panel, nautilus and evolution

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 08:37:32AM +0200, Gérard Milmeister wrote:
> > > Concerning the applications menu on the panel.
> > > KDE has a small programm call kappfinder. This looks
> > > for known applications already installed on the system
> > > and integrates them into the app menu.
> > >
> > > There would also be a need for GNOME compliant icons for non-GNOME
> > > applications.
> >
> > GNOME has a more dynamic system.  It has the TryExec field where it will
> > look for a program in path at the time it's trying to load the icon.  Then it
> > just will not show the icon if that command doesn't exist.  This makes the
> > process completely transparent to the user.
>
> Sorry, but can you explain this further?

Sure, basically we always have all icons installed.  But some .desktop files
have a special field such as

TryExec=mozilla

Now the panel when it loads the menu will check for the binary "mozilla" to
be in the path, if it's not it doesn't put it into the menu, if it is, it
does put it into the menu.  That way the user always has all the icons
without having to run some program to add them.  All the user has to do is to
install mozilla and the menuitem should magically appear (well not magically
due to a design flaw, it will appear when the panel is restarted or the menus
are somehow reloaded.)

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   I either want less corruption, or more chance to participate in it.