Getting rid of the backgou

Hi Folks

I have created a button with a pixmap on it which I have packed into a
Table.  When it is displayed it also shows some of the default button
colour on either side of the pixmap I have packed onto the button(when I
say default button colour I mean the colour that that button would be if
it was not made with a pixmap on it) .  I do not want to see this, how
can I make it so this is not displayed.

[snip]
  MECHPAUSEB = gtk_button_new();
  box1 = gtk_hbox_new(FALSE, 0);

  style = gtk_widget_get_style(switchW);
  pixmap = gdk_pixmap_create_from_xpm(switchW->window, &mask,
                                      &style->bg[GTK_STATE_NORMAL],
                                      "/tmp/grey.xpm");

  pixmapwid = gtk_pixmap_new(pixmap, mask);

  gtk_box_pack_start(GTK_BOX(box1), pixmapwid, TRUE, TRUE, 0);
  gtk_widget_show(pixmapwid);
  gtk_widget_show(box1);

  gtk_container_add(GTK_CONTAINER(MECHPAUSEB), box1);
  gtk_widget_show(MECHPAUSEB);

  gtk_table_attach (GTK_TABLE (table1), MECHPAUSEB, 5, 7, 1, 2,
                    (GtkAttachOptions) (GTK_FILL),
                    (GtkAttachOptions) (0), 0, 0);

[snip]

Cheers