Re: GNOME File Selector 0.1 released

Erik Bågfors <erik bagfors nu> writes:

> Just a short question, will the normal gtk-fileselector be replaced with
> this in all gtk/gnome-application in the same way that ximian has done
> today?  Having different fileselectors for different applications will
> not look good

Pretty much inevitable unless we get the API used by applications into
GTK+.

What we may be able to do is have a simple abstract interface in GTK+,
which most apps would use; apps that want to require
GAL/Bonobo/etc. can still access the GNOME-selector-specific features.
Apps that use only the simple GTK interface would use some kind of
dynamically-loaded selector component that could be the GNOME
component, determined by some sort of config file.

That's the only way I see to get this selector into things like GIMP.

(I don't think linking everything to GAL and so on is reasonable, for
a variety of much-rehashed reasons.)

Havoc