Re: No check for xpm.h in gnome-libs configure

Matt Schalit <mschalit pacbell net> writes:

> Erik Walthinsen wrote:
> >
> > I just wasted an hour with a failed build of gnome-libs-1.0.55 on a
> > NetWinder, because xpm-devel wasn't installed.  There is no check in
> > configure.in for this file, so it fails far into the build.  I looked at
> > the latest in CVS, and there is still no check.  Either that or it's
> > non-obvious.  If there isn't one there, one should probably be added.
> >
> >       Erik Walthinsen <omega temple-baptist com> - System Administrator
>

> Sorry to hear about your hour that disappeared (snicker).  I've been
> working on gnome-libs for three weeks now.
>
> I'm not sure why you're trying to compile 1.0.55, when 1.2.11 is the
> latest stable release, as of January 31, 2001, but that's neither
> here nor there.
>
> When I configure 1.2.11, I see the following:
>
>    configure:2689: checking for XpmFreeXpmImage in -lXpm
>    configure:2708: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall -Wunused  -I/usr/local/BerkeleyDB/i
>    nclude -I/usr/local/lib/glib/include -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/X/include -L/us
>    r/local/BerkeleyDB/lib -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X/lib -lgtk -lgdk -lgmodule -lgli
>    b -lXext -lX11 -lsocket -lm conftest.c -lXpm  -lsocket -lnsl -pthread 1>&5
>

> >From my limited knowledge, I think that -lXpm would need to find it's header file,
> or the configure statement would fail.
>
> Do you concur?

AC_CHECK_LIB() doesn't catch missing header files.

But if you have the libraries to link to, and no header files, then
that's a broken system, and handling broken systems is something
in ./configure is something one could work on forever and still
not catch everything that could go wrong.

Regards,
                                        Owen