Which sound format to use?

Hi,
    I want to play some little sounds in my app... to keep them small, I've
converted them in 22100 hz, 8 bit, mono; in xmms (for example) they play
well, but when I 'fire & forget' them with gnome_sound_play(), they sounds
bad... scratchy and too high-pitched. I'm wondering why... maybe I do use
the wrong format? What is the 'native' format for the sounds? Or maybe the
linux driver for sounds play them this way, and xmms just applies filters?
    Mano :)

GnomerMind - an intriguing puzzle
             game for your GNOME!
http://gnomermind.sourceforge.net