Re: official support for more scripting languages in gnome needed

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Naba Kumar wrote:

> Well, I think it doesn't matter in which scripting language the tool is
> written.
> The languages were designed to suit perticular domain of programming
> task. If it weren't, don't you think there will only one programming
> language?

The problem domains of various languages overlap.  Many general purpose
languages are successfully used for tasks their creators never imagined.

> So IMO, it doesn't matter what language a programmer chooses, as long
> as he/she chooses the right one.

How often is there a single correct choice of language?  How often is
there more than one choice that would do the job well?

> Imagin writing a multithread FFT (fast fourier transformation) program
> written in perl or lisp. And imagine writing a database search and replace
> program in C.

I agree that you can make a bad choice of language for a problem.  But for
manu GNOME utilities languages like guile, perl and python are not bad
choices.

James.