Session Management - GNOME compliance...

Heya,
At the moment, session management seems to be in a terrible state. The
interaction between applications and the window manager/session manager
is flakey, to say the least. A large amount of applications are not
getting restored to the correct workspace, viewport, etc..
I think this should be an imperitive fix for GNOME2.0.
I am pretty certain that this is caused by applications not implementing
the save_yourself callback properly and not *neccessarily* the fault of
gnome-session and the window managers.

To quote from Havoc's book ;) -

"Your application should save as much interesting state information as
possible: the current open documents, cursor position, command histories,
and so on. Applications should **not** save their current window geometries;
the window manager is responsible for that".

So if you're hacking your apps for the new platform, can you check that
it is implementing the save_yourself callback properly?...and make them
GNOME compliant ;P

The following links maybe useful--

http://cvs.gnome.org/bonsai/cvsblame.cgi?file=gnome-libs/libgnomeui/gnome-client.h&rev=&root=/cvs/gnome
http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/gnome-libs/devel-docs/session-management.txt