mimetypes and programs

Hello,
    I am creating debian packaging for a couple molecular viewers
and am puzzled at what is really required for associating a file
type under gnome 1.4 with a particular program. Using nautilus
as my filemanager I find that I have to have the following files
for a .pdb file to properly lauch the molmol application...

in /usr/share/mime-info

molmol.keys containing

chemical/x-pdb
	description=Protein DataBank Format
	default_action_type=application
	short_list_application_ids_for_novice_user_level=molmol
	short_list_application_ids_for_intermediate_user_level=molmol
	short_list_application_ids_for_advanced_user_level=molmol
	category=Graphics
	icon-filename=/usr/share/pixmaps/molmol.png
	use_category_default=yes

and molmol.mime containing

chemical/x-pdb
	ext: pdb

However while the above will cause the mime-type to appear in the
File Types and Programs control panel it doesn't cause an association
of an application unless I also add to /usr/share/application-registry
a file

molmol.applications containing

molmol
	requires_terminal=false
	command=molmol -a
	can_open_multiple_files=false
	name=molmol
	mime_types=chemical/x-pdb

Is this correct? The documentation on presetting these files seems
sparse and the existing use of it seems rather random in format.
Also will this usage work under gnome 2.0 when released? Thanks in
advance for any hints. Oh, please email to howarth bromo med uc edu
as I don't subscribe to this mailing list.
                   Jack Howarth