(forw) gnome_app_new() oddities

The following seems to be quite strange in behavior.  A tarball with the
example is at http://www.acmeunix.org/test.tgz (moderators please delete
message with tarball attached).  The working example is the default glade-2
output for a gnome-app, the failing example is that same glade-2 output but
changed around to use a struct "MainWindow".  When compiled with
optimizations (-O2) it works but leads to some failed pointer arithmetic
in more complex examples.  When compiled without optimizations, it
segfaults.  Please have a look and feel free to share any results.  I've
only been able to test this on three machines and two different distros
(gentoo and debian unstable) so my results might be hinting at problems
with those two distros.  I am however, using the source tarballs from
gnome.org.
    -James Moss

----- End forwarded message -----