Re: xclock -borderwidth 0?

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 04:21:41PM +0000, john cs york ac uk wrote:

> Is there any explanation in any of the Gnome documentation of why Unix
> commands like `xclock -borderwidth 0' don't result in a command
> window without a window border? (Is this instead a matter of the window
> manager in use? I've tried Enlightenment, Sawfish, Twm and Window Maker.)
> A user here has an old self-written program that he wants to appear without
> a border, for unintelligible reasons of his own. He complains that
> `-borderwidth 0' used to work on the SGI Indy Magic desktop he used to
> use before being switched to Linux and Gnome. (He is still using Gnome
> 1.4, but hopes to switch to 2.0 shortly.) I've searched the Gnome
> documentation without success.

This isn't likely to be documented, surely it's just a bug in either
xclock or the WM. Though if none of those WMs you mention work, I'd
guess at xclock.

My xclock doesn't seem to have a -borderwidth option, so I'm not sure
what it does. What window manager hint does it set? I would expect
that it changes the X border width, which isn't related to the window
manager frame.

There's definitely a way to turn off window frames, most WMs support
the MWM hint for this.

Havoc