gnome-autogen.sh

Hello,

I checked gnome-autogen.sh, and it seems there is no real way to somehow
enforce minimal versions of autotools.  I'd like to be able to fail on
using automake < 1.5

Now, I did a lot of similar stuff for gstreamer's autogen.sh stage, and I
would like to move some of those ideas to gnome-autogen.sh as well.

I was wondering what other people think of this, and how they would prefer
that this works ?

To give an examples, we could do something like

a) have autogen.sh set AUTOMAKE_VERSION=1.5
   and gnome-autogen.sh would loop over a set of possible automakes
   (AUTOMAKES="automake-1.7 automake-1.6 automake-1.5 automake)
   which it would check for.
  This last list could be overruled by autogen.sh as well if necessary.

b) add options to autogen.sh like --with-automake to specify an alternate
   automake
   This would potentially clash with gnome's autogen behaviour which
   passes all arguments to autogen.sh straight to configure.

Thoughts/suggestions ?

Thomas

We did it by the door
We did it on the floor
how about tonight, maybe
we do it some more ?
<-*- thomas  (at) apestaart (dot) org -*->