Re: Word attachment...on linuxtoday

Hello,

On Thu, 2002-01-17 at 15:22, Lauris Kaplinski wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Wed, 2002-01-16 at 21:22, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
> > Is the sodipodi engine separated out into a library?  (And if so, then
> > are there any docs about using it... besides the source?)
>
> No, it isn't. I have mixed feeling about, whether to do that will be
> good thing or bad thing. Libraries are nice, but every serious
> application moves towards implementing almost all things by itself
> - just doing something general enough, powerful enough and fast
> enough is hard task - if not impossible at all.

I'd imagine that we can find some kind of common ground for a 2D vector
graphics library.

Something along the lines of OpenGL.

Maybe just an immediate-mode library for defining various kinds of
primitives.  Like line segments, ellipses, splines, etc.  And doing
stuff like stroking, and filling.  Filters.  Etc.  Etc.  (Obviously
it would be a big list!  I'll save writing it down in this message...
unless anyone wants to hear it.)

Such a library would save everyone the trouble have having to do
stuff like: writing their own Bezier curve clipping routines.
Or writing their own anti-aliasing  stuff.  Etc.  Etc.

I think something like this could be useful for all applications.  And
"drivers" for using hardware acceleration, could be written for this
library.

See ya

     Charles Iliya Krempeaux
     tnt @ linux.ca