Panel Applet Porting

I don't seem to see a section in the porting guide on panel applets.
Could someone help me fill in the blanks on the steps needed?

0) Switch over to gnome-autogen.sh and make minor changes to configure.in
   as detailed in "Changes to the build environment".

1) Replace main(argc, argv) with PANEL_APPLET_BONOBO_FACTORY macro

2) Create oaf server file and copy to /usr/lib/bonobo/servers

3) Global search and replace for functions with changed names(e.g.
    PanelApplet).

4) ???

This is as far as I got.  My applet compiles, but once installed it
doesn't appear in the panel menu, and exits immediately when run from the
command line.

Is there something I need to do to register it with bonobo?
Help much appreciated.

jason