Re: Gnome 2.0 look

On Wed, 2002-06-19 at 15:49, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> Em 19 Jun 2002 14:24:21 +0200, Gérard Milmeister <gemi bluewin ch> escreveu:
>
> > I don't care about font aliasing, and I expect GNOME 2.0 to look pretty
> > much the same as GNOME 1.4 whose appearance I love.
>
> You have 'export GDK_USE_XFT=1' somewhere? If you remove that the fonts go
> back to normal. I am quite happy to use Gnome2 with non-aa fonts.
>
> > better. A further problem is with the new gnome-terminal. My preferred
> > font is the neep font by jmk. Although I was able to select this font, I
> > had only the choice between 2 sizes, one of which wasn't even available
>
> Run 'gconf-editor' and find 'app->gnome-terminal->profiles->default'
> and change the 'x_font' key to your preferred font... I use:
>
> -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed-*-*-100-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1
Ok, that problem is solved. However there is no reason why this should
not be possible in the terminal conf dialog.

Another thing: Nautilus in GNOME 1.4 has anti-aliased fonts. In GNOME
2.0 is seems to be only possible to have AA fonts in Nautilus when AA is
globally activated. Is this correct. I would rather still have to enable
AA in a more fine grained way.

Also I played around with Metacity. While it works, it misses a lot of
features that I have learned to love with Sawfish. Although I appreciate
that Metacity is fully based on GTK, crucial features are missing, for
example keybinding configuring seems to be very restricted.

Is it possible to configure the tasklist, so that clicking on a task
alternatively minimizes and unminimizes the corresponding.

All in all, I regret that quite a few features from GNOME 1.4 have been
removed, or made accessible only through gconf-editor. And these are by
no means all esoteric features. I am all for cleaning up configurations
options, but configurability has always been the great strength of
GNOME.

Regards,

--
Gérard Milmeister