Slow loading of GNOME 2 apps and other details

I am trying the GARNOME release of GNOME 2 final, and as with previous
releases I notice, that GNOME 2 apps tend to start slowly. From
observing the harddrive I find that the app seems to have long been
loaded but doing something other. A guess might be that connecting to
gconfd takes a long time, or something with the font handling (I have
several hundreds of TT fonts). It seems, that if I disable AA thing go a
little faster.

I use xawtv and in fullscreen mode, both gnome panels are in front. The
same thing with mplayer. Xine however works fine.
Let me reiterate a request for a once-in-sawfish-but-no-longer-there
feature, i.e. rembering window geometry. I find this very useful, even
necessary for non-GNOME apps like the already mentioned xawtv and
acroread.

Just saw that the gnumeric doesn't do AA in the sheet, does it?

I hope my comments are more helpful than annoying.

Regards
--
Gérard Milmeister
Tannenrauchstr. 35