Re: Slow loading of GNOME 2 apps and other details

Hi Gerard,

On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 18:06, Gérard Milmeister wrote:
> I am trying the GARNOME release of GNOME 2 final, and as with previous
> releases I notice, that GNOME 2 apps tend to start slowly. From
> observing the harddrive I find that the app seems to have long been
> loaded but doing something other. A guess might be that connecting to
> gconfd takes a long time, or something with the font handling (I have
> several hundreds of TT fonts). It seems, that if I disable AA thing go a
> little faster.

	It's pango initializing and scanning the fonts on your system [ or if
not pango, freetype on pango's behalf ].

	Ultimately pango-1.0 doesn't work so well on a system with a huge
number of fonts - most especially for the ft2 backend - used in the
canvas ( eg. ). But ... the good news is that pango-1.2 is (apparently)
not far off now - and will use Keith Packards 'fontconfig' to solve all
these problems in a super snappy way.

	HTH,

		Michael.