Re: Slow loading of GNOME 2 apps and other details

On Fri, 2002-06-28 at 10:22, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi Gerard,
>
> On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 18:06, Gérard Milmeister wrote:
> > I am trying the GARNOME release of GNOME 2 final, and as with previous
> > releases I notice, that GNOME 2 apps tend to start slowly. From
> > observing the harddrive I find that the app seems to have long been
> > loaded but doing something other. A guess might be that connecting to
> > gconfd takes a long time, or something with the font handling (I have
> > several hundreds of TT fonts). It seems, that if I disable AA thing go a
> > little faster.
>
> 	It's pango initializing and scanning the fonts on your system [ or if
> not pango, freetype on pango's behalf ].
Can't pango do this on demand, for example while in font selection?

For the fullscreen problem, I noticed that the new panel is always in
front, in contrast to the GNOME 1.4 one, where you could change this
setting. In GNOME 2.0 you can't. Is there a correct way to switch to
fullscreen, that xawtv and mplayer don't follow?

Regards

--
Gérard Milmeister
Tannenrauchstr. 35