Re: new file selector dialog?

On Fri, 2002-03-08 at 05:53, Sean Middleditch wrote:

> All I'd ask is that there be some basic buttons to auto-jump to the
> commonly used devices (floppy, CD) - the list should probably be pulled
> from /etc/fstab or something.  For the average user coming from Windows,
> the whole "Find /mnt/, then cdrom/, make sure it's mounted, then open
> the file" is kind of a pain, and too complicated (we deal with some
> really stupid/unwilling-to-learn people here at work).
>
> It should be possible to add that without breaking the existing API,
> either.

Ick. (No offense.) So long as they're removable. It's very rare
on my machine that I actually care about physical drives -- I think
in the last five or six years of using *nix I've used a floppy other
than a boot floppy no more than two or three times, and a CD-ROM
other than a bootable installation/rescue CD about the same. I like
the vaguely Evolution-esque mockup that mdew put up better, with
the sidebar, particularly if the sidebar's modifiable.