Re: Presentation & Question

Hello!

I think you should drop the idea on relying on gnome-canvas event
routing to catch palnets, but instead write your own. Let me explain:

You have some tolevel structure (let it be StarMap), that referes to
all planets and ships. There are methods:

map_find_closest_planet (map, x, y)
map_find_closest_ship (map, x, y)

And separate objects (rects?) marking selected planet and ship and
highlited planet and ship.

Now you have to capture all events on canvas, regardless of whether
they are happening on planet, ship or empty place. To do that you
can either install handler of widget event, or alternately use
infinite transparent background item (the same one can do some
background painting as well, if you need it).

Now, for each mouse movement, you'll find closest planet and ship,
and show highlight marker on these. If user clicks
mousebutton, you just mark given object as actually selected, and
move selection marker to it.

Thus you will avoid moving both mouse cursor and canvas, that
can disturb users. Plus you can relatively easily implement
autoscroll (just doing some timeout-based magic on border area).
Plus users will have immediate feedback, which object will become
selected, if they will press button.

Best wishes,
Lauris Kaplinski