How to add *.desktop?

Hi all:
    Now I had delevoped a gnome utility, I want to add
a menu entry(eg. Foot-->Programs-->Graphics-->The
GIMP) and desktop shortcut(like Start Here and user's
home), so people can use it more easy!
    I has known, the menu entry can add by a *.desktop
file in /usr/share/gnome/apps/Utilities, and in
/user's home/.gnome-desktop to the desktop shortcut,
but it is with default gnome path, how can I get the
gnome install path different with default?
    Also, could I add my utility like
"Starthere.desktop" with new adding user?

每天都 Yahoo!奇摩
寬頻上網- 盡情享受遊戲、音樂與電影的聲光 界
adsl.yahoo.com.tw