Re: Converting GTK project to GNOME 2

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 12:34, Rich Churcher wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 20:45, Michael Meeks wrote:
> >
> >   _Unfortunately_ today's world being what it is - you almost
> > certainly want to use SOAP for internet wide IPC - since it goes
> > through fire-walls. So checkout the 'soup' module.
>
> Done - I have no idea what that is, but there's always this weekend to
> find out...

it is a SOAP implementation in C, which allows you to do RPC over HTTP
and XML.

> >   Yep - plain libglade / gtk+ sounds good for everything GUI. Of
> > course - if you think you can feasibly use a mail / file transport
> > for the game moves - it'd be nice to have a bonobo component that
> > can be used inside evolution for making moves etc. Depending if you
> > think that's a good idea - the same thing would view boards inside
> > nautilus; it just depends if that's worth doing :-) Hopefully in
> > some ideal future it'd also plug into Mozilla ... but problems there
> > some of the chicken and egg variety.
>
> Ooo, play by mail with evolution! Nice, never thought of that. Tell you
> what though, how about I actually get a working GNOME app here before I
> start chasing rainbows ;o)

yes, a Bonobo component can easily be added later on, if you do your app
well separated in modules, you can just add the Bonobo component later
on. Just make sure your app is modular enough and has all functionality
cleanly separared.

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I write a good widget for the board it
> can always be packed into a component later? So it's not as if the
> Bonobo option is off the table for good.

yes, exactly.

cheers