gnome2 panel menu primer

Hi,

I would like to create a menu for the gnome-panel from scratch. I tried going through all the menu*.[ch] files but couldn't make heads or tails of how I'm to begin. From the looks of it, it doesn't seem to follow gnome-panel applet design (so the applet-writing.html doc might not be what I need)

If one would outline the things needed to do to start me on my own menu or point me to some existing document I could start with, I'd greatly appreciate it.
--

*Richard Neal Plana, B.Sc., CCNA*
Lead Software Engineer