gconf2 schema installs as user.

Hi,

Now that I'm happily running red hat 8.0 and don't have full homedir
install of gnome2, I'm running into issues when I try to compile some
applications and install them as a user in my home dir.

Ideally, this should just work, but currently it fails due to gconf schema
installs.  Specifically, it determines correctly that the primary source
of schema files is located in /etc

However, if I understand gconf correctly, based on my /etc/gconf/2/path
file, schemas placed in
xml:readwrite:$(HOME)/.gconf
would also be picked up by gconf, right ?

So my question is - wouldn't it make more sense if gconftool-2
--get-default-source reported a location where the current user has write
permissions, or, possibly an extra flag, which would then be used at
install time ?

I understand the fact that there's a difference between the user running
configure and the user running make install, which is why it would seem to
make more sense to me to move the actual call to gconftool-2 to the
install rule in every Makefile so that it figures out an installable
location for gconf schemas.

I just want to ask here what you consider the best way to make this work
by default in both cases (user installs and system installs).

Thanks,
Thomas

I touch and you melt down
You don't even know it
how much I want to believe it
<-*- thomas  (at) apestaart (dot) org -*->