Re: The Gnome Clipboard Manager

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Philip Van Hoof wrote:

> What applications could use libgcm :
>  - Applications like IDEs (devstudio, anjuta, gIDE) and texteditors
>  - PanelApplets
>  - Office applications
>
>  Example of Microsoft applications that have a Clipboard
>  Management tool : Microsoft Visual Studio.NET, Ms. Office
>  Both save clipboards on a shelve.
>

> Features list :
>

> Note:
> I know that it might be confusing but I am not the person who gave these
> animals names, "a target is a format" and "a clipboard is a selection"
> in the following text :
>

>     * Storing your clipboards and all their available formats. A.k.a the
>       collecting of clipboards.
>
>           o A clipboard (a.k.a. a selection) can have multiple formats
>           (a.k.a targets) o GNOME Clipboard Manager will store all your
>           previous clipboards and formats so that you can go back to a
>           previously saved clipboard o A format can be
>
>                 + Html : which are the HTML-tags of a HTML selection
>                 when you copypaste some stuff in your browser + Image
>                 data : If you select a portion of an image and use the
>                 "Copy"- or "Cut"-feature in for example OpenOffice.org
>
>                 + Normal text :
>                 a.k.a. COMPOUND_TEXT which is the most common format of
>                 clipboards
>
>                 + Some other format used by a specific
>                 application that contains information about the data.
>                 For example the clipboards of OpenOffice.org contain
>                 gzipped formats which host XML-files that define the
>                 layout and information that is to be copypasted to for
>                 example another OpenOffice.org screen.

HI Philip,
	This is a great feature for the Gnome platform. In addition to the
features you've listed here there should also be RTF targets. Both AbiWord
and Cross Over Office support cutting and pasting Rich Text Format text.

I'll try to find time to implement RTF targets. The Code Weaver guys
have promised to fully expose RTF from MS Office to the X-clipboard.

(One advantage of actually paying for a product is that you get to file
bugs and people fix them for you :-)

AbiWord supports or will support most these text formats so we might able
to reuse it to do conversions from whatever <-> whatever using the
abiword import/export filters.

Cheers

Martin