Re: gtkhtml2 vs. gtkhtml1

On 17 Sep 2002, Ali Akcaagac wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 12:54, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > 	Right; and there is a good argument for having 2 choices; a
> > light-weight feature-lean, small, 'editable' gtkhtml1 port; and then on
> > the other hand the larger, slower, but 'all singing, all dancing' gecko
> > engine.
>
> and here is the problem.... gtkhtml1 port.... look, wasn't it said that
> together with the gnome 2.x release you offer the people an api that
> will be valid for all time. by giving gtkhtml1 (which is not delivered
> with gnome 2) the favour over gtkhtml2 (which is delivered as component
> of gnome 2) you will break the api. somehow breaking the 'api' is not a
> valid sentence here since you remove the library but this breaks all
> projects that started e.g. after gnome 2.x release which uses gtkhtml2.

gtkhtml2 is part of the gnome2 desktop, not platform (the same also
applies to libwnck, libeel and some others) and there are no API or ABI
guarantees about these.

> now the question is. what makes 'evolution' a more important application
> the reason for this gtkhtml1 vs. gtkhtml2 discussion than any other
> application. i doubt that we see a gnome evo 2 port before gnome 2.2
> release (maybe after that time)... think about this please.

I guess we can consider Michael to be slightly biased when it comes to the
importance of Evolution 8-)

> --
> Name....: Ali Akcaagac
> Status..: Student Of Computer & Economic Science
> E-Mail..: mailto:ali akcaagac stud fh-wilhelmshaven de
> WWW.....: http://www.fh-wilhelmshaven.de/~akcaagaa

	Sander

	This is the place where all
	the junkies go