Re: gtkhtml2 vs. gtkhtml1

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 10:49, Radek Doulík wrote:

> On Út, 2002-09-17 at 10:49, Sander Vesik wrote:
> > Fpr DOM part you will have to talk to billh, but we definately want css2
> > for help for layout and formating.
>
> Yeah, my question was meant more like, do we really need those or
> couldn't we somewhat overcome it? What are the reasons to use CSS? I
> don't think help layout is so complicated that it must use css2 for
> layout and formating. At least from what I've seen, the GNOME help pages
> have pretty simple layout and formating.

Even relatively simple things rather need at least basic CSS support.
HTML on its own doesn't handle presentation worth crud.  Given decent
CSS support and a good designer, docs could not only be functional
(after all plain text files are functional) but could be made quite easy
to read and good looking.  Without CSS, there isn't even a way to do
something as easy as set a coloured border around an element.  At least,
not one that works in all standards compliant browsers.

Another thing I think of, if we use a gtk-based html renderer (such as
gkthtml1/2), would it be possible to do some kind of css extension to
pull colours out from the gtk theme?  Or do they already allow this?
This way things like header-block layouts (like in the e-mail view in
Evo.) can be coloured according to the user's theme.  Perhaps a way that
is backwards compatible with standard CSS, so documents viewed in
galeon/ie/etc. look decent, but look "proper" in the help-viewer or
whatever application.