Re: gtkhtml2 vs. gtkhtml1

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 15:49, Radek Doulík wrote:
> On Út, 2002-09-17 at 10:49, Sander Vesik wrote:

> > > Why do we need these for the help stuff?
> > >

> > Fpr DOM part you will have to talk to billh, but we definately want css2
> > for help for layout and formating.
>
> Yeah, my question was meant more like, do we really need those or
> couldn't we somewhat overcome it? What are the reasons to use CSS? I
> don't think help layout is so complicated that it must use css2 for
> layout and formating. At least from what I've seen, the GNOME help pages
> have pretty simple layout and formating.
>
> Bill, why do we need DOM?

CSS is very helpful for accessibility, but there are other ways of
reformatting.

However the w3c accessibility User Agent Guidelines require that DOM be
made available by HTML and similar content viewing agents.  We don't
seem to have any alternate way of meeting this requirement.  Of course
right now we don't expose DOM (yet) but clearly we can't if the user
agent doesn't use it :-)

Perhaps a future solution would be to use a gecko or Moz=based viewer
for such content in "accessibility" cases.

Best regards,

-Bill