Re: Trivial patches on b.g.o covers dust.

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 08:54:47PM +0200, Hans-Peter Schadler wrote:
> Finaly i hope that some of the core developers can comment the mail
> from Ali, because this is a important topic and we should discuss
> it.

There's no general discussion to have - everyone will just agree that
yes patches should be reviewed in a timely fashion. OK, now we all
agree. ;-)

If you want to do something about it, you need to assist with driving
specific patches forward, or with freeing up developer time by helping
with other things so they can look at patches.

Be sure patches have the PATCH keyword and priority High in bugzilla,
that's helpful. (With the exception that developers may have removed
the PATCH keyword if the patch was not acceptable, but if they did
then there should be a comment on the bug saying so.)

It's also helpful to clean dead/obsolete/crap bugs out of bugzilla, so
that real patches and bugs are more visible; attending a bug day as
periodically announced is a good way to help with that.

If there's a note on a bug asking questions or posing issues to
resolve before applying a specific patch, you can often help with that
as well. Or it's always fine to politely add a comment to a bug that
says "what is this bug blocking on?" - sometimes just time, sometimes
waiting for a certain milestone, sometimes a technical issue.

Things to NOT do:
 - don't add "me too!" or flame comments to bugs
 - don't add the comment "ping" - just ask politely for the
   status of the bug and what it's blocking on, if and only
   if the blocking issue hasn't already been stated

Havoc