LibXML2 Indentation

Hi,

Short question, is there an environment flag or something that allows
LibXML2 to indent it's created files instead putting everything into one
line ? e.g. force every GNOME application to write it's xml based
configuration in a nicely indented way ?

In the LibXML2 FAQ I was able to read something about $XMLINT_INDENT
environment variable but there aren't any further informations about
this and I'm not sure if this is what I want.

If such an option is not availble then I would like to know this too so
I can write a bugreport about this.

greets,

Ali Akcaagac