Re: gnome-common and automake-1.4

On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 06:49, Perry Gilfillan wrote:
> In trying to get the latest version of gnumeric installed, I've had to install several other updated libraries.  I've gotten down to gnome-common, which I hope is the last.
>
> I tried several automake packages, and none was acceptable to the autogen.sh process.  I finnaly reinstalled the version refered to in macros2/autogen.sh, which is convienently spewed out when autogen fails.  This automake did not work out of the box.  I had to create symlinks from /bin/automake to /bin/automake-1.4, and /bin/aclocal to /bin/aclocal-1.4 before it would configure.
>
> Does someone do an automake distribution that provides the *-1.4 links I created?  I noticed that automake-1.7 has the *-1.7 on the binaries already.

The last automake-1.4 release should install automake-1.4 by default.
That release was automake-1.4-p6, so try
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/gnu/automake/automake-1.4-p6.tar.gz for
example.

Note that you need to have automake-1.4 and automake-1.7 installed to
build GNOME, due to compatibility problems between the two versions. You
cannot try to work around this by linking automake-1.7 to automake-1.4
or anything crazy like that. And that is why we don't just call automake
(since 'automake' could be pointing to automake-1.4 or automake-1.7 or
anything in between).

Cheers,
Malcolm