Re: Binary Compatibility question

Hi Edwin,

On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 01:56, Edwin wrote:
> I never explicitly link to liblinc. I link to the libraries proposed by
> pkg-config for libgnomeui-2.0, which appear to include -llinc. However
> *even if I hack the makefile to remove that reference*, ldd still shows
> a reference to liblinc.

	Sure, but ldd shows the entire dependency tree resolved for that system
(surely), so - possibly removing the -llinc fixes 1 half of th eproblem.

> Similarly at RPM build time the only dependency I explicitly specify is
> gnome-libs. RPM expands that to include everything that gnome-libs
> requires *on the system where the RPM is built*, which in my case
> includes linc.

	Ah - this is true; so, the trick is to bludgeon rpmbuild into not doing
this; I believe you need to do:

%define __find_requires somewhere/bin/nothing
%define __find_provides somewhere/bin/nothing
%define _use_internal_dependency_generator 0

	Where somewhere/bin/nothing is:

#!/bin/sh
filelist=`sed "s/['\"]/\\\&/g"`
exit 0

	Or somesuch; and then add manual dependencies on sensible things.

	HTH,

		Michael.

--
 michael ximian com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot