icons/menu entries

Hi,

currently I have this problem: I want to add icons and menu entries to gnome
in a programme. Where can I read how to do this (I know how to do it with the
mouse, but thats not a good sollution for a programme :D).
Would be realy great if a guru could show me some example code that adds an
icon or that puts up a menu entry for my programme.

If there is some reference out there that would explain my questions, please
blaim my noobness for not finding it and point me in the right direction :D.

Thanks in advance
Peter
--
Be not anxious about what you have, but about what you are.
		-- Pope St. Gregory I