RE: GNOME support in RH8

On Sun, 2003-02-16 at 23:12, Franck Martin wrote:

> [...]

Glade works great if you use it to generate .glade files like Havoc
said.  Yes it would be nicer if it was integrated into an IDE but
creating GNOME 2 apps with Glade and libglade is fairly easy as it is.

> How does it integrates with anjuta?
Depends what you mean by Anjuta.  There are two versions 1.0 and 2.  1.0
is the stable GTK+/Gnome 1 version of Anjuta.  Anjuta 2 is a CVS only
work in progress and the IDE I use.  Anjuta 2 does noty yet integrate
with Glade though the framework is available to do so in the future.
Basicly the Anjuta developers wanted to complete Anjuta 1 before they
committed to Anjuta 2 instead of just leaving the project incomplete.  I
feel this was a noble choice even if it did set back a Gnome 2 IDE for a
bit.

> I think the new versions of Gnome should not be released until glade and
> anjuta are able to develop applications with the latest Gnome libraries.
> That would avoid developers to go in the racing game to catch up with gnome
> development.
Developers are always racing ;-) Anjuta 2 and Glade 2 can target the
latest libraries though they may not automate everything just yet.
Stopping Gnome releases just to get the IDE's in sync is like stopping
work on the Linux Kernel just so X can catch up or for that matter
stopping features in X so Gnome can catch up.  They are all layers and
besides not all developers use IDE's.

> I think gnome2.2.0 has been released and nor anjuta nor glade is gnome 2.0
> complaint yet...

Anjuta 2 has a nice project druid that will generate simple Gnome 2
application template.  As a developer you still need to know the details
of the Gnome 2 API's in order to create anything useful.  I think this
is a good thing becaused I would have never learned as much as I have if
all I did was trust an IDE to generate code for me.  That being said I
understand there is a group of programmers who just want to get up and
running as fast as possible.  The current batch of developers tools
looks to be shaping up very nicely and will most likely become easier to
use as time goes on.  But there lies the problem.  These things take
time, and other projects can not simply sit idle.  It is kind of funny
because Anjuta 2 as an application already has features, such as
tear-off/dockable windows, not currently present in the stable Gnome/Gtk
2.x releases.  So they both are ahead of each other in some respects.

--
J5