Re: developers, maintainers: Please add a startup notify line to your desktop.in files!

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 05:13, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 09:23:49PM -0800, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > Mkes sense. Still too bad you have to explicitly enable it for every
> > GNOME app, but ah well.
>
> Yeah, we would need some kind of operating system support probably to
> do it reliably without explicit enable. And it'd be amusing to try to
> get *that* into the kernel.

  What kind of operating system support? I mean, the only thing that is
required is to fork/exec, show busy cursor, then the parent (gnome-panel
or nautilus or whatever launches the app) monitors the app process
(waitpid) to see if it exits and then stops the wait cursor. How much
more operating system support would it need? Of course, things can get
more complicated, like having one process forking and its child being
the one with GUI, but those are poorly written apps anyway ;)
  But probably I'm missing something...

--
Gustavo Joćo Alves Marques Carneiro