Re: Followup: opinions on Search services

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 21:27 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
[...]
> 2) Use of an SQL database is a far superior, faster and flexible
> solution to using a dedicated indexer like the lucerne engine (all other
> competing engines like spotlight use sql databases). This is one area
> search services has got right.

Last time I worked on search and full-text indexing [1], relational
databases were far from ideal, and the few vendors that had used
them in that way had reimplemented using something more suitable.

What has changed??

Liam

[1] http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/lq-text/

--