Re: Followup: opinions on Search services

Hi Jamie,

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 21:27 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> The problem is that neither of them are really optimal solutions nor are
> they likely to achieve broad acceptance for one reason or another.
>
> However for technical reasons :

I disagree pretty fundamentally with all three of your assertions, but I
don't want to go off on a tangent.  We can discuss them off-list if
you're interested.

> 3) It really needs to be a freedesktop solution written in C cause it
> looks likely that KDE will produce their own solution so adding to a lot
> of needless wheel reinvention.

Just as an FYI: Beagle exposes (and uses) a dbus interface as its
primary search interface, so it's available to any application using any
toolkit without a compile-time (and if written correctly, run-time)
dependency other than dbus.

Granted, this doesn't address the fact that the runtime of the service
itself, whether it be a glib application or a mono application or python
or whatever, is there and consuming resources.  But your options are
either to pick one or write one yourself.  Personally I don't feel this
is a major issue on a modern desktop, but others feel differently.

Joe