Re: Followup: opinions on Search services

Joe Shaw wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 21:58 -0500, Manuel Amador wrote:

I was wondering, did any of you guys had a shot at trying Search
services?  Did you find it useful?  Do you have any ideas for
improvement in this area?

I haven't played with it yet, but I did peruse the code a little.  My
question is, why a new project when something like Beagle is aimed at
almost the exact same problem?

The problem is that neither of them are really optimal solutions nor are they likely to achieve broad acceptance for one reason or another.

However for technical reasons :

1) Indexing is both CPU and resource intensive ergo Python and C# are not really a good choice for this - it would be a lot better to do it in C.

2) Use of an SQL database is a far superior, faster and flexible solution to using a dedicated indexer like the lucerne engine (all other competing engines like spotlight use sql databases). This is one area search services has got right.

3) It really needs to be a freedesktop solution written in C cause it looks likely that KDE will produce their own solution so adding to a lot of needless wheel reinvention.

jamie.

Thanks,
Joe