Re: Followup: opinions on Search services

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 23:35 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> Cause its not just about indexing - We have metadata too and that really
> needs a DB. If all you want is a google on your hard drive then yes a
> dedicated indexer would be best but an RDBMS will give you expanidbility
> and flebility in handling structured metadata with more powerful search
> options.

Well, it gives you marketing hype for sure.

It turns out that the text retrieval packages also store metadata.
For that matter, an XML-native database such as Sleepycat's of the
Apache stuff might be worth considering.  Using a relational db for
metadata and a native text retrieval format for postings can be very
effective, as long as the integrity between the databases is managed.

Liam

--
Liam Quin, W3C XML Activity Lead, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin
Pictures from old books: http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/pictures/oldbooks/