Re: Nautilus

Hi,

On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 12:11 +0000, Shane O'Connor wrote:
> Heya,
>
> I recently started looking at gnome2.12 builds (moving on to 2.13 now)
> and I just can't get my head around the default view for Nautilus - the
> spatial view (a new window for each folder opened) is sooooo annoying ;)

Points of view.  I find it most useful, since I know for sure that if a
folder has been opened to show the contents of a directory, then that
folder will always represent that particular directory.

> I know most seasoned linux/unix users will use a terminal to navigate
> between dirs

I am, by all means, a "seasoned" Linux user, but Nautilus became usable
for me only when implemented this neat feature.

I find myself unable to use any other file manager, when on OSX or
windows.

>  but for novice users who are more used to point and click I
> would have thought this default behaviour would be really annoying - it
> really makes the desktop look messy and is a real pain to have to close
> all those windows you don't want.....

There's a menu item for this (File → Close parent folders, Shift + Ctrl
+ W), and you don't even have to do it, because most of the time, if you
have to descend a tree of directories, you can use Shift + Click or
Shift + Enter, which will open a child folder while closing the parent
one.

> Any particular reason why this is the default behaviour vs the broswer
> mode?

> Btw, NOI to anyone, just a curious really...

As a person whom I know would say: you are guilty of sadism, bestiality
and necrophilia, as you are flogging a dead horse. ;-)

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi - <ebassi gmail com>