Re: gnome-terminal and cycling through tabs

On Tue, 2005-08-03 at 18:56 +0100, Julien Gilli wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am just a lambda gnome user, so please feel free to point me to the
> right mailing list if my post is not adequate.

This is a good place to ask your question.

> I use gnome-terminal all day long, and i'm getting a bit tired of not
> being able to cycle through tabs (i.e go to the first tab when
> pressing page-down when the last tab is active, and go to the last tab
> when pressing page-up when the first tab is active).
>
> So i just made a very tiny patch that add this capability.
>
> What i would like to know is :
> - is there a way to add this capability without modifying the source
> code, or is this capability already present and have i missed
> something ?

Not as far as *I* know.

> - if not, is this functionnality usefull ?

Sounds like expected behaviour to me, so you have a bugfix right there.

> - if so, where should i send my patch ?

The best place is to search bugzilla for an existing bug describing the
bug you have found. If there isn't one make one. Then attach your patch
to the bug, add a PATCH keyword and change the priority to high.

The problem is that the maintainer of vte/gnome-terminal went AWOL, then
his replacement went AWOL, and so for a very long time gnome-terminal
hasn't gotten any real development. If you use gnome-terminal a lot, and
wouldn't mind hacking it, you should coordinate with some other
interested hackers. In particular Kjartan Maraas <kmaraas broadpark no>
has been recently applying patches from bugzilla.

> Thank you for your attention, and keep up the good work !

The good work is all up to people like yourself. ;)

Cheers,
Ryan