Re: [Usability] Allow donations for precise bugs

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 18:57:03 +0100, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-03-12 at 12:46 -0500, Luis Villa wrote:
> > I'll note that, for the record, I'm drastically, violently opposed to
> > doing this in bugzilla. Add this to bugzilla and pretty quickly the
> > only bugs fixed will be bounty bugs- it will totally skew the
> > motivations of everyone involved in the project and that would be
> > terribly unhealthy.
>
> Or maybe maintainers would only put bounties on difficult yet important
> things that they don't think would get done otherwise. So they'd be both
> worthwhile and too difficult to distract too much. Or maybe I'm being
> overly optimistic.

Thinking about this more, I'd have to say I also have reservations
about doing this inside bugzilla.  Something external would make more
sense.

One problem I'm worried about is that people may get ticked at certain
maintainers--namely the ones who don't get paid for what they do, are
watching their savings go down the drain, and decide to implement the
bounty features themselves instead of spending their time reviewing
other peoples' patches.  That'd be a real worry for me with metacity
and libwnck; it might make me decide to stop doing maintainer-ish
things for them so that people wouldn't think it unfair for me to go
after the bounties.

Of course, I do think it may be useful to have some kind of mechanism
to allow people to "put money where their mouths are" for
features/bugs that they want (but ONLY for features/bugs that
maintainers have explicitly stated are such that they are willing to
deal with the extra pressure for patch review and are things they want
implemented).

Elijah