Re: [pygtk] How to debug whilst logging off

On Sat, 2005-03-12 at 19:47 +1100, Nigel Tao wrote:
[...]
> 2) Any suggestions on how to debug an applet bug which I can only tickle
> by logging off?  How can I get some sort of stack trace or log or
> anything useful?  Right now I'm just guessing, coding, and hoping.

  1. Install Xnest;
  2. Add a test user to your system;
  3. Run a nested window GDM session (in System Tools);
  4. Login as the test user;
  5. In your own user session:
	a) open a shell
	b) change DISPLAY to the test user nested session display (eg. :20)
	c) run: gdb python
	d) inside gdb: run /foo/bar/myapplet.py
  6. In the test user nested session, add your test applet to the panel
  7. Logout from the test user nested session

  Perhaps test user can be == your user, I'm not sure.

  Regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic